Sunday, September 11, 2011

Giorno Sette



Today we went to St. Peter's Basilica. It was breathtaking. It's hard to explain how massive and how beautiful it is. I was taking pictures until I realized that they don't even begin to portray how it really looks. Bernini and his students did most of the paintings and sculptures. One of my favorite sculptures was that of Veronica, the woman who wiped Christ's face with her veil and it supposedly left an imprint of his face on her veil. I also love all the cherubims!







Michaelangelo's Pieta
We were lucky enough to see a cardinal while inside St. Peter's Basilica. Apparently he is like the equivalent to a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the LDS church. One of the tour guides said that was the first time she had ever seen a cardinal in her time working there. So, I was about one foot away from one of the candidates for the next pope. It was really neat! I know the picture is awful! It was hard to be sneaky yet respectful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment