Friday, September 23, 2011

Days as a Senese Citizen

Well I have officially been in the beautiful city of Siena for one week. The Tuscan countryside is absolutely beautiful, the streets are windy and narrow, and best of all the people are cheerful. I am living with my friend Meredith Stanfill in a quaint little apartment 35 minutes away from the Dante Alighieri Institute. Our host family is a darling retired couple named Angela and Viviano. Viviano is hilarious and is still very insistent that I am German and not actually American. He keeps asking me how to say things in German and I have to keep reminding him that I have no idea. He is also still trying to get us to drink wine. Mostly he is a big tease. Angela is the sweetest. I am determined that women in Italy take their role as mother/wife very seriously. She will not let us help her cook or do the dishes and every day while we are at school she goes and cleans our bathroom and remakes our beds for us. Yes, family I promise I am making my bed everyday! hence remakes ;) They only speak Italian and there are many many conversations where I nod my head and say si. I am trying to ask plenty of questions without overwhelming them too much.

School is wonderful. Learning on site is really an amazing experience. It makes learning so much more intriguing. Our Italian teachers are so kind, patient, and well so Italian. They have thick accents and speak with their hands. They love what they are teaching and are so passionate about Italy and either the language or the art. I love how proud Italians are of their country their language and their people. When you show interest and love for any of the above they love you as well.

The first couple days were definitely a humbling experience full of many culture shocks; but all in all I couldn't be happier with my situation. I think I could wake up to a rooster and this majestic sun-kissed land every day.  

1 comment:

  1. How amazing! We miss you but so happy you are enjoying your time!

    ReplyDelete